Friday, December 17, 2010

Fire and ice

I was away for more or less two weeks to attend the UNFCCC COP 16 / CMP 6 at Cancun, Mexico. Fortunately, there was a positive outcome in the form of the Cancun Agreement and this is seen by many as a "lifeline" to the UN process, which almost died last year in Copenhagen. It would then be interesting to see how things unfold next year (2011), especially that the Kyoto Protocol is due to expire in 2012. The question is not whether our climate has a chance, but rather a question if our survival has a chance. Let us wait and see.

Cancun looks very much like the Philippines, albeit cleaner and more expensive. It was a good experience, to be in a place which looks like home and to see fellow Filipinos who are friends. I felt very much at home. The 2-week defrosting stint I think is enough to get me through the next few days in icy Deutschland. Come 23rd of December, I will be going to Milan, Italy to spend Christmas with an aunt and my sister, who is already there. Italy has a reputation of being less cold than Germany, so that is a welcome change.


The weather is getting to me and I am extremely bored in Bonn. I should definitely find ways to entertain myself now that I cannot do the things I do back home. What I particularly miss is playing the violin (or at least attempting to). I sold my violin to a friend and now to buy a new one is on my Christmas wish list. A couple of things on my first Christmas in Germany, I hope I get at least one of them.