I've been here for more or less a week (6 days to be exact) and friends and I were trying to do a video conference but it was impossible. It was a bit depressing not to be able to connect with people on this basic level of video conferencing. I attributed the problem to the internet here in the dorm BUT apparently it was not the internet's fault.
My webcam driver was out of place.
I had to search online for drivers and pray that I do not download a hoax virus. I found one and downloaded the zipped file, extracted it, and executed it. No virus warning. Camera working. And so now my problem is solved! Found a driver compatible with my computer's OS and now friends could see me! And I can see myself, too! :)
Despite the depressing atmosphere that Budapest has, it is getting a little bit better everyday. I just need to finish this paper and I can finally really move on. I will try to finish it tonight.